Welcome to Amped UP Gaming, A Mature PS4 community where you can find like minded players to team up with for fun or competitive play across all PS4 games. For more information on how to sign up, click here.

PCars2 first impressions

Lets get amped up and speculate about Project cars 2!
Braldy
Australia
Reactions: 28
PSN ID: Braldy
Gaming IDs: Twitch: Braldyau
Twitter: Braldyau
Youtube: Braldy B

PCars2 first impressions

Post by Braldy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:44 am

So what are you first impressions and what did you do?

I went staight to Mount Panorama in the v8 supercar. I turned all assists off and changed the controls the way i wanted them.

So far i have changed the controls about 6 times trying to get the right feel, i think i have that now.

After 2 laps of playing with controller setup and running another lap or two i have turned most assists back on for now as i was under steering the over steering everywhere and couldnt fix it. Just to much power for a beginner i guess lol. Keep brake assist off, that thing is aweful.

I come to the conclusion that i wasnt ready for the mountain nor a v8 supercar 😕 and have started a career at the bottom ranks in slower cars to get the feel of it some more.

Im loving it so far but if your not into perfection racing you wont like it as the smallest mistake will punish you. And thats what thisbis all about i guess.
Psn: Braldy
Twitch and Twitter: Braldyau

ScottyB
Australia
Reactions: 12
PSN ID: ScottyB2229
Gaming IDs: Rockstar Social: ScottyB1988
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/scottyb88
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB4QPw ... 85_VFRme8A

Post by ScottyB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:07 am

PCars 1 was very similar in that aspect, the cars were super touchy. Hopefully we can find a good controller setup. Once I get this download I'll have a go on both controller and steering wheel so I can compare it for everyone.

I remember my first few times playing PCars 1 (same track and car haha) with a steering wheel and I struggled to even keep it going straight. I got used to the senstitivty after a while though and it was fine.

Looking forward to seeing how others find it

SINISTER120
Reactions:

Post by SINISTER120 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:24 am

Sounds similar to the first one in difficulty :(

rspain
United States of America
Reactions: 6

Post by rspain » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:02 am

And that's why I will not be buying it

Braldy
Australia

Post by Braldy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Its getting easier to control. Remember this was the first half hour of gameplay. If we didnt play a game because the first half hour was hard i probably wouldnt be a gamer hehe. Not saying its not hard though. Just getting easier.

I never played the first so cant compare. This is the first dedicated racing game ive played for a long time.

It'll take some time to git gud 🔜

Chewy
Reactions: 1

Post by Chewy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:54 pm

rspain wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:02 am
Word.

We have Bloodborne to play instead ;)

-LN
Canada
Reactions: 2
PSN ID: LN-MLB
Gaming IDs: Rockstar Social: LN-MLB

Post by -LN » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:59 pm

Braldy wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:10 pm
Its getting easier to control. Remember this was the first half hour of gameplay. If we didnt play a game because the first half hour was hard i probably wouldnt be a gamer hehe.
Same here! 😹 I feel as though I picked up games so much faster when I were younger. Of course, games were very simple back then! 😁

This game does sound daunting though! I do enjoy a challenge, but I'm very curious about using a wheel instead of a controller and whether or not it will give players a significant advantage.

Scotty, please let us know! ☺

I'll still consider getting it, but I'll definitely wait until the other game is released.

SINISTER120
Reactions:

Post by SINISTER120 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't count any game out due to difficulty.

My problem is the powers that be decided it would great to release 3 top tier racing games at basically the same time, lol.

Braldy
Australia

Post by Braldy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Yeah LN. Would have been much easier assigning buttons to the old atari joystick hah. Im interested in the wheel as well. I think it will be better because i know sometimes when i spin its because ive pushed a little to far across and accelerated to hard coming out of a corner. The wheel and accelerator would be much more accurate.

Im hearing ya there Sinister. I have loved all the GT games so im gonna be very divided. Like i said though. I'll just play whichever everyone else is and it seems a few more are getting GT so we'll hit that pretty hard when it arrives. Cant wait for that either. I didnt go digital with GT so have to wait an extra couple days i think. Doh!

rspain
United States of America
Reactions: 6

Post by rspain » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:59 am

Chewy wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:54 pm
rspain wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:02 am
Word.

We have Bloodborne to play instead ;)
I'm ready whenever you are. Well you have until now and fifa day. Then you might have lost me for a while

ScottyB
Australia

Post by ScottyB » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:17 pm

I still haven't been able to download it yet ☹️ I wonder what @no_snacks thinks of it.

I've been hearing very mixed things from it so I guess it just depends on what your expectations for it are.

I think GT sport will be a much more controller friendly/slightly easier to drive in general than PCars 2. It'll be interesting to read some comparison reviews when GT sport is released.

no_snacks
Australia
Reactions: 0
PSN ID: no_snacks
Gaming IDs: Rockstar Social:no_snacks

Post by no_snacks » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:37 pm

I've just copied and pasted this from the XDBX thread for Project Cars 2. This was my first impression of the game after about 10 hours of Career Mode gameplay.

Ah....this game takes me back 10 years when I used to play TOCA Race Driver 3 (V8 Supercars edition). Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like much has changed. :(

The graphics are very, very ps3 looking at best. Don't know what the developer is doing with their trailers, but the game definitely doesn't look that good (on PS4 anyway). Most of the curbs look like they're simply "painted" on, and the game just sends a slight rumble through the controller to make you think they're actually raised and textured. Only special (secondary) curbs seem to be raised properly and have an impact on the handling. Most of the pitwalls, garages, stadiums and other trackside structures don't look much better than TOCA tbh. Definitely takes away from any emersion the game might've had for me. The background scenery looks lifeless and unrealistic. Oh, and since when are gumtrees brown? I've lived here for 45+ years and have never seen a brown one unless it was dead. :huh:

The AI cars seem to be ok in the main. You can dial in their aggression and level of skill, so maybe I've just found the right level that works for me (70% skill and 50% aggression). It's definitely better than TOCA, but no where near what I was expecting from a current gen game. It's still way too easy to dive up the inside at turn one and unrealistically steal several places in one foul swoop. The wheel to wheel racing seems to work ok. Haven't had any AI cars recklessly barge me off track or run up my arse at a hairpin for example. However, if you're following one, you still need to back off more than you'd like on the approach to a slow corner, as they tend to slow down too much if there's another car in front of them.

One other issue is the inconsistencies for each track. This was another problem that TOCA used to have (PS2 don't forget). Using the same car throughout a championship, on some tracks I can qualify 3 or 4 seconds quicker than 2nd place, but on other tracks I'm struggling to be within 3 seconds of last place, even with heaps of practice laps and setup changes. Unless you want to spend hours (literally) tinkering with all the settings, then it can become a frustrating and futile exercise.

If you're using a controller, you can forget about racing competitively with the assists turned off. I generally only have TC turned on low, but sometimes need to turn stability control on as well, as some cars are almost impossible to control without it. Once again, you can fiddle with as many setting as you like (if you've got the patience) but the controller simply doesn't have the input range you need to drive properly. Even a cheap wheel would be worth investing in if you want to play seriously without any assists. You might not get the greatest amount of feedback through a cheap wheel, but at least you can be a helluva lot more subtle with your turning, braking and throttle inputs compared to a controller. Not necessarily the games fault - that's just how it is.

Haven't played any online races yet. It will certainly be fun racing against your friends on some proper tracks though. I'm just gonna slowly make my way through the career mode first. There are definitely lots of nice cars to choose from and some pretty cool tracks. You can pretty much try any car and track combination straight out of the box - there's no need to unlock all the cool cars and tracks, but I don't recommend using the Aussie V8 Supercar on Bathurst as your first choice - maybe work your way up to that combination.
:lol:

I'm probably being a bit harsh on the graphics tbh. The cars, tracks and weather effects look really good, but the backgrounds and middle ground (grass, pit buildings, crowd, service vehicles etc) only look a little bit better than the PS3 (and even PS2) racing games I've played. Considering we've moved on 11 YEARS and TWO console generations since TOCA 3, I personally don't think those parts of the game have progressed to the same extent. Just slow down and have a good look at the curbs next time you're playing. They're actually a step backwards from the ones on PS2.

Overall, the game is quite good, and who knows, maybe with a few patches it could be great. In its current state it feels like a bit of a letdown in a few areas - mainly those graphics and the wonky AI. There are also a few major bugs that definitely should not have made it to release, like the studded ice tyres not working on certain cars and tracks. I mean, shouldn't those fundamental things be tested prior to release? Maybe they were, maybe they weren't - either way it's pretty bad. It would be ok if you could simply "not play" any ice races until that bug was patched, but when you're playing career mode and one of the races in the championship is an ice race and you have no option to change it, well it becomes a bit of a problem doesn't it? Had to completely forfeit that round and move on without any points. Luckily I had enough points to still win the championship, but I would've been pretty pissed if I couldn't progress to the next level.

Haven't played any online races yet, but I'm really looking forward to them. The license system sounds like a great implementation to a sim racing game. Hopefully it works well and separates the dickheads from serious players. Sorry Braldy, maybe you can play other games with us instead. :lol:

ScottyB
Australia

Post by ScottyB » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:34 pm

So I've only been able to play the partially downloaded content which is one track and car. I haven't tried the wheel yet but the car seems almost impossible to drive.

The car I'm using is the Mclaren 720s and I can't seem to keep it straight. Every time I turn a bit it seems to turn, then straighten up and the turn a bit more, so I naturally turn the other way to avoid crashing and it continually does the same thing. Has anyone else noticed this?

Braldy
Australia

Post by Braldy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 am

Yeah i seem to be correcting a fair bit. Maybe with a wheel you can be more precise at pointing where you want to go where as the controller is a little more correct and hope its not to much.

no_snacks
Australia

Post by no_snacks » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:54 pm

Your settings will make a massive difference to how the cars behave. Not talking about mechanical setups for each car, but the controller settings from the pause menu. Once you get them right, the mechanical setup for each car can then be used to fine tune the handling further.
I played around with those settings for a few days but still struggled with things. Did some research and copied a few settings from YouTubers and forum users etc. Found one that I'm pretty happy with, but more importantly I've learnt what to adjust if I need the car to behave in a certain way.

These are my controller settings I'm using
  • Steering Deadzone - 0
    Steering sensitivity - 25
    Throttle deadzone - 0
    Throttle sensitivity - 5
    Brake deadzone - 0
    Brake sensitivity - 25
    Clutch deadzone - 10 (not relevant for me)
    Clutch sensitivity - 25 (not relevant for me)
    Speed sensitivity - 100
    Damper saturation - 100
    Controller damping - 30 to 40 depending on car/track
    Controller vibration - 100
I also have Stability Control turned on and have Traction Control set to low. Some cars need those turned on, some don't. Once/if I get a wheel, I'll certainly experiment a bit more with different assists and settings etc.

This is the video I ended up using as my final reference.

The guy gives a brief description for each setting which really helps to understand what the different things do. It's just a whole heap of random numbers otherwise. :lol:

I still have a bit of trouble trying to get the car straight as I'm exiting a lot of corners. The controller just doesn't have the same subtle inputs you can get with a wheel or pedals, so I tend to overcorrect/wiggle a little bit when trying to straighten up. It's something I'm trying to work on atm. Also corners that require partial steering inputs, like maybe a corner that turns in hard on entry but gradually opens up on exit - they can be a bit hard sometimes. Overall though, the controller is not too bad once you get a feel for it and get those settings to your liking. Of course all things being equal, myself using a wheel will almost always beat myself using a controller, but the gap is probably not that much.

Braldy
Australia

Post by Braldy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:36 am

Played online against randoms tonight for first time. Pretty clean racing so look forward to some more of that. I got disqualified for entering pit lane to fast so i assume the host had that set to manual but i didnt realise.

I would like to get some trophies that i need but its online stuff. Need to be director for a full race but it can only be done in a private lobby so next time we are on if you guys dont mind.

ScottyB
Australia

Post by ScottyB » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:44 pm

no_snacks wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:54 pm

These are my controller settings I'm using
  • Steering Deadzone - 0
    Steering sensitivity - 25
    Throttle deadzone - 0
    Throttle sensitivity - 5
    Brake deadzone - 0
    Brake sensitivity - 25
    Clutch deadzone - 10 (not relevant for me)
    Clutch sensitivity - 25 (not relevant for me)
    Speed sensitivity - 100
    Damper saturation - 100
    Controller damping - 30 to 40 depending on car/track
    Controller vibration - 100
I also have Stability Control turned on and have Traction Control set to low. Some cars need those turned on, some don't. Once/if I get a wheel, I'll certainly experiment a bit more with different assists and settings etc.
Wow, just tried this setup for controller and it’s awesome. You didn’t say if you used anti lock brakes, I left it set on high.

Ive been driving with authentic assists which makes the car significantly more difficult to drive. The car, using the above settings (most likely the driving assists), is extremely stable and and feels almost like gta compared to having authentic assists (at least in the V8 Supercar around Bathurst!)

To be fair, it’s a lot more enjoyable being able to drive the car so comfortably and without spinning out every few corners and don’t get me wrong, my few laps were still pretty crap and and by no means is it easy to achieve fast laps just because of these settings and assists.

This is definitely a cool racing game to use with a controller with these settings so if you were holding out on this game because of that, I’d say go for it.

Can’t wait to see how GT Sport compares.

no_snacks
Australia

Post by no_snacks » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:20 pm

@ScottyB and @Braldy

Try using the Ferrari 488 GT3 car at Bathurst with these settings. It's so much fun to drive once you learn the track. There are a lot of corners where you can push a lot harder than you think, but also a few corners that need to be given more respect than you think they deserve.

I recommend using cockpit view. For some reason, chase cam feels a lot twitchier than it needs to be on PCars2. You don't see or feel half of those effects in cockpit view. I also think it gives a better indication of what the car is doing compared to bonnet view. Just my feelings, but I think you both should give it a go until you get used to it. You probably wont change back. :D

Turn damage off and start a personal practice session at Bathurst for March the 1st, and use medium cloud for the weather. That's the same conditions the Time Trial uses.
Try using these settings. Just remember you'll need 1 or 2 laps to get your tyres up to the correct pressure if you want to go for a real quick lap. In time trial mode, tyres are already up to temperature/pressure at the start, but damage is on, so if you crash you'll need to start again.
SpoilerShow
Here's a video of my quickest lap so far. I've had better laps up until the point where I made a costly mistake that ruined the lap, so the time can certainly be beaten. GT3 cars share the same leader board as a few other quicker classes, so my time is only 152nd overall, but it's the 11th quickest GT3 time. DavidCore89 is in 124th position overall (7th in GT3) and is only 0.9 seconds faster. Pretty sure one of us will be able to beat his time if you want the challenge. :D

Braldy
Australia

Post by Braldy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:25 pm

I might take a look at this in future but for now will be playing GT Sports. I can race the exact same track online with a variety of cars and not have to worry about getting a racing engineer degree.

Im just dirty on the jerks for making such a stupid trophy lol. 24 hrs online for 1 race. What a joke. Their is realistic, then there is stoopidity.